Winter Salad – Sweet and Nutty Charred Radicchio and Pear
I know salads are so not a winter thing, but this is different because: it’s red (hello Christmas) and nutty (Christmas is nuts) and kind of warm (well not cold and fresh like a normal salad!).
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Serves: 1 (This portion would be a main course sized salad, so adjust as you need)
So you will need:
*I actually lost the measurements that I took when I made this so just use my estimates as a guide. Just make sure you’re dressing is a nice balance of sweet and sharp and that your salad is balanced with a bit of pear and walnut in every bite.
- 1 pear
- 1 head of radicchio
- 50g walnuts
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- Juice of 1 fresh orange
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Whisk up your dressing ingredients nice and smooth. Adjust amounts if you prefer it sharper or sweeter.
- Bash up your walnuts slightly so they’re not completely whole and toast them on a dry pan over a medium heat.
- Give them a shake to make sure one side doesn’t burn.
- While your walnuts are toasting: quarter your radicchio and put them into the grill until charred on one side.
- Turn half way to get both sides. Make sure all sides are charred because you don’t want to be half way through your sweet and nutty salad and suddenly get a bitter taste off it!
- While the radicchio is under the grill slice up your pear whatever way you like.
- Make sure your pear is ripe though because it has to be sweet. If it’s been sitting in your fruit bowl for 2 weeks it should be ripe.
- The radicchio doesn’t take long at all and you just want the outer edges to blacken and shrivel nicely and the inner leaves to be start going a nice golden colour.
- Once everything is prepared mix it all up in a bowl and enjoy!