VEGAN VIETNAMESE FEAST
Hosting dinner parties is one of my favourite ways to spend a mid-week evening. There is something so rewarding about making an effort with your cooking and sharing new creations with friends…
I love to pick a theme and cook dishes from a certain culture; these recipes are the perfect party appetizers or light summer feeds from my latest Vietnamese ventures.
1: Vietnamese Pancake (Bahn Xeo)
Serves 2 as a main, 4-6 as an appetizer
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g medium firm tofu
- 2 tsp soy/tamari sauce
- 1 large carrot, sliced into match sticks
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- handful of bean sprouts
- 1/2 a red chilli
- small handful of bean sprouts
- Mix the batter (first 6) ingredients together and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan and spray with oil. add the tofu and break up with a fork, similar to making scrambled tofu.
- Add the turmeric and soy/tamari sauce and stir fry for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. add a little more oil/spray and half the batter to the pan at a medium-high heat.
- Spread the batter around the pan to cover the base and slightly up the side.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes until the base is golden underneath. place half the tofu, carrot, onion and sprouts on half the pancake and fold over the other half.
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with mint and chopped chili.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter and ingredients.
2: Fresh Spring Rolls
makes 8 – enough for 4 as an appetizer
- 8 sheets of rice paper
- 2 carrots
- 200g cooked rice noodles/rice
- 200g marinated tofu slices
- 1 pepper
- 1/2 a cucumber
- Slice vegetables thinly.
- Place rice paper on a large dinner plate and cover with boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Carefully transfer to a wooden board.
- Add some noodles/rice, vegetable sticks and tofu to the centre of the rice paper, try not to overstuff as they may tear when you roll them.
- Fold in two of the sides and then roll up from the bottom to meet the opposite side.
- A YouTube tutorial helped me learn how to do this properly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
3: Vegan Nuoc Cham Chay
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- small handful of mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 a red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp tamari/soy sauce/vegan fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with spring rolls or Vietnamese pancake.
4: my signature satay sauce
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped and seeds removed (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cashew/peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with spring rolls or Vietnamese pancake. it also makes a great sauce for tofu satay.
Other menu ideas:
deconstructed fresh spring roll bowl
green papaya salad
bahn mi – Vietnamese bread rolls
vegan Vietnamese iced coffee
coconut mango lassi
I found this blog called The Viet Vegan which has some great main course and dessert recipes if you are planning a big vegan Vietnamese feast!