Vegan Hawaiian Pizza
This is based on a “Hawaiian” style ham and pineapple pizza. I used to like these before I was vegan and wanted to recreate it. Interesting fact when I was reading about pizza varieties, I learned that Hawaiian pizzas were actually invented in Canada. Even so, it makes a delicious vegan pizza! The pineapple is really good. I veganised it by using marinated tempeh, thinly sliced and chopped up, but you could use vegan ham-style faux meat slices. If you can’t get either of these or would prefer not to use them, I think thinly sliced mushroom would be really good on it too!
Ingredients (makes 1 pizza)
1 pizza base (store bought or home made)
For the sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. tomato purée
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh pineapple (about two handfuls of diced pineapple or pineapple rings if you like)
- A few handfuls of grated vegan cheese (I used half a block of Violife for Pizza)
For the tempeh (if using)
- 1 package of tempeh (you don’t need much of it for 1 pizza)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- Alternatively use vegan ham-style slices or mushrooms instead of tempeh
How it’s made:
- Thinly slice and chop some tempeh, as much as you want for your pizza.
- Finely slice the tempeh, if using. Put it in a bowl and add 1 tbsp. olive oil, plenty of sea salt and a few sprinkles of smoked paprika.
- Mix it up and leave to sit while you make the sauce and assemble the pizza.
- Or if you’re using vegan ham slices, then chop them up small. If you’re using mushrooms, then thinly slice them.
For the sauce:
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over a medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Add to the saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and mince or crush the garlic. Add to the pan and cook for another minutes or two, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato purée and stir and cook for another minutes. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, oregano, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- This should be enough sauce for about two pizzas, so if you’re only making one you can save the sauce for another dish like pasta.
- Spread some sauce on the pizza base. Sprinkle with the vegan cheese.
- Then put the pineapple and tempeh (or vegan ham or mushrooms) on top of the pizza.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.