Umami-Packed Mushroom Pizzas
Here’s a treat for the weekend; Pizza in a mushroom! I’m in heaven! The tastebuds in your mouth will explode with these juicy, umami-packed portobello pizzas. They are a triumph of flavours and they’re one of the first dishes I presented to friends when I adopted a vegan lifestyle. I was amazed at the responses. Give it a try, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
Serve them as a starter or with fresh salad as a lunch and you can easily mix up the toppings for different flavours. Have a look at my caramelized red onion bites for topping inspiration.
What you’ll need: (serves 6)
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1 roaster red pepper, peeled and cut into 1cm strips
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1 small red onion sliced very finely
- 6 heaped tablespoons of tomato and basil sauce
- About 3 heaped tablespoons of grated vegan parmesan and grated vegan pizza cheese from Violife.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Clean the mushrooms and remove the centre stem and set aside.
2. Lightly oil a large baking tray and place the portobello mushrooms onto it, giving them plenty of space.
3. Cook for 5mins. Then remove from oven and pour out any juice that may form, if you get a lot try to keep it as it works great for risotto. Set aside.
4. In the meantime, chop up the centre stems with the button mushroom and fry in a little oil.
5. Return to the portobello mushrooms and start to build up just like a pizza or my caramelized red onion bites.
6. Start with a spoonful of the basic pizza sauce, followed by some vegan cheese.
7. At this stage you can add what ever flavours that you like, I like to top them with the fried mushroom, followed by red onion onion slices and some cherry tomatoes. Some strips of roasted red pepper work a treat too if you have some.
8. Return to the oven and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
9. Remove from the oven and place on a serving dish, add some fresh basil for garnish.
- Portobello Mushroom: €1.99 per punnet of 3 – 4 mushrooms. Total €3.98
- Punnet of button mushrooms €2.00 for approx 20. We’ve used ten, Total €1
- Punnet of Tomatoes €2 for approx 15 tomatoes. We’ve used 6. Total €0.80
- Red Onions €1.99 for a net of about 8 opnions. We’ve used 1. Total €0.24
- Basil sauce: €1.46 for basil plant, €1.19 organic tinned tomatoes (you can get cheaper), €0.99 for 3 onions, we’ve used one €0.33.
- Total cost for sauce for 6 large pizzas is €3.01. We’ve used about 1/6th of this so cost should be approx €0.51
- Block of Vegan Parmesan €8.35, we used one tablespoon, approx 1/10th of this block €.83
- Block of mozz cheese €2.75, we’ve used 1/10, €0.27
- Total cost per mushroom €1.27
If you try this dish at home please take a photo of it and tag @thetinyvegankitchen on Instagram, or @thetinyVK on Twitter – I’d love to see them! xTx
Share and enjoy!
Tanya O’Halloran – The Tiny Vegan Kitchen