During my recent visit to Assisi I devoured some amazing pizzas, senza formaggio of course. All of the restaurants that serve pizza have wood burning ovens so the bases are light and ultra crispy. It’s like pizza heaven. Since I’ve been back I’ve been craving pizza but I didn’t want a heavy, doughy base that would leave me feeling full and heavy. My sister’s been trying tortilla pizzas recently and raves about them so I thought I’d give it a go. There’s no going back; guilt free midweek pizzas have arrived at casa mia!
What you’ll need for the sauce: (makes enough for 3-4 pizzas)
- 4 to 6 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 to 6 wild garlic leaves (if using regular garlic use 2 cloves and sauté in some oil first)
- Teaspoon of dried oregano (optional)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
What you’ll need for the pizzas:
(choose your own toppings, I went with my Assisi favourites and ingredients are per pizza)
- 1 tortilla wrap per pizza
- 1 large portobello mushroom, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 to 3 artichoke hearts, quartered
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Some Violife cream cheese with herbs
- Wild rocket leaves for garnish
- Some oil for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 180°. Cut the tortillas into quarters and cook tortillas for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tinned tomatoes to a pan along with the sundried tomatoes. Cook for about 20mins over a medium heat, until some of the water has evaporated. When ready blend the mix using a hand blender.
3. Heat a little oil on a pan and cook the portobello mushrooms. Season with some salt when done.
4. Cover the tortilla slices with some sauce and layer up the pizza with the toppings of your choice.
5. Return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 10mins.
6. Remove from the oven and add some vegan cream cheese and rocket.
7. Finish with some chilli flakes.
If you try this dish at home please take a photo of it and tag @thetinyvegankitchen on Instagram, or @thetinyVK on Twitter – I’d love to see them! xTx
Share and enjoy!
Tanya O’Halloran – The Tiny Vegan Kitchen