Tofu “Egg” Fried Rice
I love making fried rice with scrambled tofu in it to replace eggs. It’s really quick and easy to make once the rice is cooked, is healthy and a great way to use up leftover rice. You can add whatever veg you like. I like it with baby corn and green beans. I use Cauldron brand tofu which I find is very egg-like but you can use any type that’s soft enough to mash up.
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil (or other oil)
- A bunch of spring onions
- Baby corn
- Green beans
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- Dash of chilli flakes
- 200g tofu (one that you can mash up, I use Cauldron brand)
- Dash of turmeric (for colour)
- 2 cups of cooked wholegrain rice
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaf (cilantro) and more for garnish
- Soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos
How it’s made:
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Slice the vegetables into small pieces.
- Stir fry the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Add the chilli flakes, peel and crush or mince the garlic, peel and grate the ginger and add to the pan. Fry for a few more minutes.
- Mash the tofu or crush it up in your hands, add to the pan with the turmeric and mix it up.
- Add the rice and stir fry it for a few more minutes.
- Finely chop the coriander and mix in just before the end of cooking.
- Add a dash of soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos after cooking. (I take out my kids’ portions first as it’s high in salt and add the soy sauce to the adults’ portions.)
- Serve and garnish with more coriander.