The Best Salad Recipe on the Internet
Ok there’s no time for chat here. This recipe is too good for words. You can thank me later.
Makes:enough for 2 hungry vegans
Prep time: 30 min (approx)
Cook time: 20 min (approx)
For the salad you will need:
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 shallot
- 2 lemons
- 1 small can of chick peas or 1/2 a normal sized can
- 6 mushrooms (or whatever amount you want)
- 1/2 a pomegranate
- 1 ripe avocado
- a large bowl full of lambs lettuce or similar green leafy salad
For the marinade you will need:
- 1 tbsp tamari or soya sauce (tamari is gluten free)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For the dressing you will need:
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp tamari or soya sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius. (390F)
- Mix the marinade ingredients well.
- Cut off all the broccoli stems and toss in the marinade.
- Place on an oven tray, ideally with a non-stick mat. If you don’t have one no worries.
- While that is roasting, rinse and drain the chickpeas and set to one side.
- Quarter your mushrooms.
- Slice the shallot finely add to a bowl with freshly squeezed lemon juice and leave to marinade.
- Keep checking your broccoli every few minutes and shake the tray if you need to, and when it looks about half way (7/8 minutes) throw the chickpeas and mushrooms onto the tray and shake everything around so that they get covered in some of the marinade too.
- The marinade will probably be caramelised to the tray like mine was! But add a splash of water to the tray and give it all a bit of a shake or a mix and it will stop sticking.
- While the mushrooms etc are roasting, wash and dry your leaves.
- Add them to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender and blend. Or put them in a jar and shake well, but a blender would make it smoother.
- Stick your baby finger into the dressing and taste a tiny bit. If it’s too sharp or salty add a tad more maple or coconut sugar.
- Get the seeds out of the pomegranate any way you know how. There are loads of demos online.
- Dice the avocado.
- After a total of around 15 minutes (keep checking though all ovens are different) the broccoli, chickpeas and mushrooms should be well roasted.
- Take them out and let to cool for 5 minutes.
- Assemble everything into your large salad bowl. Don’t forget the marinading shallots!
- Add the dressing and some delicious crusty bread.
- I used a lovely homemade spelt bread from Jordans Atlantic Foods who was up at the Letterkenny Artisan Market last Saturday. It was delicious and is low in gluten apparently!
Now savour every bite! No phone calls, no texts, no TV, just flavour! (maybe music could be involved) Honestly, this salad blew my mind. I hope it blows your mind too!