Sweet Potato, Red Pepper and Avocado Sushi with Chia Seeds
Vegan sushi is such a great meal for kids, even babies! My 7 month old loves it and finds it really easy to pick up nori rolls. My 3 year old calls it shushi, which is super cute, so it’s worth making just for that. Us grown-ups love it too. I really need to make it more! Anyway, I came up with this combination today and it’s really delicious, roasted sweet potato, roasted red pepper, and raw avocado, and on the outside of the inside-out rolls, I added chia seeds for extra goodness. Chia seeds are incredibly healthy in every way and a good addition to any vegan diet. I hope you like this sushi, let me know in the comments, or if you have any favourite fillings, I’m always looking for new ideas.
- 500g sushi rice
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or lemon juice
- Nori sheets
- Chia seeds
- Soy sauce to serve (or tamari if required to be gluten free)
- Wasabi and sushi ginger to serve (optional)
How it’s made:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Put the rice and 5 cups of water in a pot. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- When cooked, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- While the rice is cooking, peel the sweet potato and cut into batons.
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, deseed the red pepper, slice into thin slices, and also roast for 20-25 minutes so that it’s done at about the same time as the sweet potato.
- When done, take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Half the avocado, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Cut it into slices.
- When the rice has cooled, mix in the rice vinegar or lemon juice.
I’ll just put a link here showing how to roll sushi since there are so many tutorials about it online. I might make a post about it sometime soon, with different filling ideas. There are also loads of videos on Youtube if you want to see it being done. It’s very easy once you get used to it, just takes a few practice attempts. http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-Sushi
For the inside out rolls, when you have spread out the rice on the nori sheet, sprinkle raw chia seeds over the rice and lightly press down on them to hold them in place. Then turn over the sheet of nori, place the fillings on top and roll as it shows on the link.
Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and sushi ginger for extra yumminess.