Sourdough Rye Bread Recipe
7 Reasons Why You Should Eat Sourdough Rye Bread
You have probably heard that Sourdough Rye Bread is the king of bread, but do you know why?
Today I would like to give you a little more insights why it is so beneficial.
1. Sourdough bread often has a lower glycemic index than most other bread. Meaning it doesn’t spike your blood sugar levels dramatically. Through fermentation, it depletes the damaged starches within it.
2. It contains higher proportions of bacteria Lactobacillus to yeast than other breads. What does this mean? More mineral availability and easier digestion. The good bacteria basically pre-digests the starches of the grains. All the heavy lifting for your digestion is already done.
3. Do you think it’s too time-consuming to maintain a sourdough starter? Believe me, the benefits are well worth it. Through this lengthier process, the gluten is broken down into amino acids, for that reason, it is easier to digest. Some people who are sensitive to gluten are able to tolerate sourdough rye bread.
4. Without containing any artificial preservatives it stays fresh much longer, than most homemade bread.This makes it perfect for everyone who likes to eat clean.
5. The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND your gut. It keeps yeast overgrowth in your intestines under control. This makes it suitable for all candida warriors out there. Happy days.
6. Other than heavily processed, commercially produced bread it still contains a lot of nutrients.You can find vitamins B1-B6, B12, folate, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium.
7. Sourdough bread tastes delicious and can be made in lots of different variations. My personal favourite is Fig & Walnut sourdough rye bread.
If you can’t get enough of sourdough check out this fabulous Spelt Sourdough Bread recipe by the talented Mira Garvin.
Sourdough Rye Bread
Prep time: 4 hours 15 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 5 hours 5 mins
Serves: 2 loafs
Delicious Sourdough Rye Bread.
- 500 g sourdough starter
- 700 g organic rye flour
- 20 g salt
- 600 g filtered or bottled water
- Add all ingredient into a big bowl and mix until well combined.
- Oil two loaf tins and pour in the dough mixture. Sourdough rye dough is too liquid to bake it without a tin
- Cover the tins with a plastic bag and let the dough proof in a warm room for 4-5 hours. You can also let it proof overnight.
- If the dough hasn’t risen allow it to sit for another hour.
- Once it has the desired size, wet your hands and smooth out the top.
- Preheat the oven to 230 – 250 degrees Celsius
- Bake at 230- 250 degrees Celsius for 20 min, then lower the temperature to 200- 220 degrees Celsius for further 30-40 min.
- If you are using a fan oven reduce the temperature by 20 degrees Celsius.
- I recommend letting it sit overnight before you cut it.