Swap the eggs for tofu with this plant powered scramble. It’s full of flavour and protein and is also great way of packing in the veg. I love scrambled tofu as a savoury breakfast but you could definitely enjoy this as a light evening meal or as part of a big brunch with baked beans, vegan sausages, garlic mushrooms etc. I had been craving this ever since I saw my housemate make it last month and I think I have improved my old recipe a lot in terms of texture and taste, so here ya go! Send me a photo if you try it out, I LOVE seeing your recreations x
Scrambled Tofu Recipe
- 1 x 400g block medium firm tofu
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
- handful diced cherry tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 tsp each turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 avocado
- 4 slices of bread of choice – I used sourdough
- Add the tofu, spices, milk and salt to a bowl and mash with a fork til it’s crumbled.
- Add it to a non stick saucepan or wok and stir fry, adding in the tomatoes and spinach towards the end. It should take about 6-7 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile toast your bread and mash avocado on top.
- To serve, layer the toasts slightly on top of each other in a bowl and dish the scrambled tofu on the other side.
- Sprinkle the whole plate with salt, pepper any fresh herbs you have to hand and chilli.
In my previous scramble recipe I used silken tofu but I prefer the texture of the slightly firmer tofu.
You can experiment with other vegetables such as spring onions, chilli, courgette, peppers and change up the spices too.