Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
This sauce is full of the rich flavours of the Mediterranean that compliment each other beautifully. The flavour of the tomatoes and red pepper are enhanced by roasting with garlic, herbs and extra virgin olive oil. They are blended to make a smooth, thick sauce.
The sauce is full of fresh veg and healthy fats so is very nutritious. It’s great for kids who love pasta if you want to get some vegetables into their diet. It’s also great for kids who don’t like chunky sauces. There’s no added sugar like in many pasta sauces, but the roasting brings out the natural sweetness in the tomatoes and red pepper. Best of all, it’s really easy and quick to prepare and you can get other things done while it’s in the oven.
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme or rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste.
How it’s made:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Chop the tomatoes in half or if using cherry tomatoes leave them whole.
- Place cut side up on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with the herbs, sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the garlic cloves to the tray whole and unpeeled.
- Drizzle with two tablespoons olive oil.
- Chop the red pepper into thick slices. Place skin side down on another baking tray.
- Drizzle with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Roast both baking trays in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Pop the garlic cloves out of their skin and discard the skin.
- Blend the tomatoes, garlic and red pepper, including the juices that have come out of the tomatoes onto the baking tray, in a blender until smooth. Season more if necessary.
- Mix with cooked pasta and serve hot or warm.