Mini Spinach and Pea Omelets
I wanted a new idea for a savoury breakfast so came up with these mini vegan omelettes and they were a huge hit with my kids. They use chickpea flour instead of eggs so are really healthy and still contain a lot of protein. You can add lots of veggies so are especially good for kids who need convincing to eat more vegetables. My favourite way of making them so far has been with wilted spinach, peas and a handful of grated vegan cheese. I use Violife original cheese for these, which makes them really delicious! The peas add even more protein and spinach adds more iron, so they’re really great for kids.
They’re quick to make so easy to make in the mornings and are even good cold at lunchtime if you have leftovers so would be great for lunchboxes. The mini size makes them easy for kids to eat and fun. Rian calls them pea pancakes!
You can add any other veggies if you like, just chop them up small and fry them for a few minutes before adding to the batter. Veggies like peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, mange tout and courgette all work great.
- 1.5 cups of gram flour/chickpea flour
- 1 flat tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- A dash of turmeric
- A dash of paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- A handful or two of peas, frozen is fine
- A few handfuls of fresh spinach
- Vegan cheese (optional but delicious, I used Violife original)
- Olive oil for frying
How it’s made:
- Sauté the spinach and peas in a pan for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted and peas are cooked.
- Grate the vegan cheese if using it.
- Meanwhile, add the gram flour, baking powder, nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of water and whisk until it makes a smooth fairly thick batter. You can add more gram flour or more water if you think it’s needed, or double the quantities if you want more.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables and a handful or two of grated vegan cheese.
- Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter into the frying pan to form the mini omelettes.
- Fry for a few minutes either side until golden brown and cooked through.
- They’re delicious served with a green salad or whatever you like.