Oh mac and cheese you sinfully beautiful dish
Oh mac and cheese you sinfully beautiful dish. I won’t be regaling you with the nutritional benefits of this heavenly dish as they don’t exist but I can tell you I drooled the whole way through making it and in my head I pencilled in “long gym session” tomorrow ha ha.
I have read a million and one Mac and Cheese recipes, but as with all the dishes on the page, I usually just conjure up my own mix, so here it is.
The quantities below filled two casserole dishes. If you’re going to make mac and cheese, double up and share the love with a friend ❤️
Cook 350g of macaroni in a mix boiling water and a crumbled veg stock cube
For the cheese sauce:
- Sautée 2 chopped onions in dairy free butter
- Once golden brown add:
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Scoop of wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 450ml coconut milk (carton not tin)
- Shake of pep and garlic powder
- Slowly add a cup of wholemeal flour stirring constantly followed by-
- 2 cups + of grated Art of Zen Foods Violife Mozzarella cheese.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and keep mixing until smooth and creamy
- Drain macaroni and divide into two oven proof dishes
- Divide and pour cheese sauce between the two
- Grate another layer of cheese over each dish
- Top with a mix of nutritional yeast flakes, panko crumb and dried thyme
- Into the oven at 180c for 20 min
- Finish off under the grill for 2 min.
No fancy shhmancy plating here! Just straight to a plate and savour each cheesy delicious bite.
Note: No calories were added in the making of this dish. Ahem.
Lies, lies, it’s all lies…