Indian Spiced Cauliflower Breakfast Scramble
I love breakfast scrambles. You can basically fry any vegetables you have and get to eat it for breakfast! This is a great alternative to tofu scramble too if you want to make it cheaper or simply don’t have any tofu. I love it with Indian spices and loads of spinach, so it’s kind of like a curry but makes a great breakfast and is amazing on toast. The spinach soaks up all the flavour of the spices and is so delicious. I like the cauliflower with a bit of a crunch still but soft enough for my kids to eat easily. If you cook it softer then it tastes kind of similar to scrambled egg. My kids love cauliflower and the florets are an easy shape for a baby or toddler to pick up, and if cooked soft enough are easy for them to eat, even with few or no teeth.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- Chilli flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Fresh or frozen baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Toast to serve (gluten-free if required)
How it’s made:
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Add to the pan and fry for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic. Add the garlic and a dash of chilli flakes to the pan.
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets. Add to the pan and stir.
- Add about 4 large handfuls of spinach to the pan (it will wilt down a lot). Add the garam masala and turmeric.
- Put the lid on the saucepan and cook for about 15-20 minutes, depending on how well cooked you like the cauliflower, stirring every so often as the spinach wilts.
- When cooked, remove any portions you are giving to kids, and then you can add salt, pepper and extra chilli flakes if you want for adults.
- Serves immediately with wholegrain toast (I use BFree brown bread).