Healthy Vegan Protein Pancakes
I love pancakes for breakfast. It always feels like a treat and the kids always eat them, even when they’re really healthy! I like to try to make them as healthy as possible, not too much sugar, and lots of nutritious stuff added. I’ve seen a lot of people making “protein pancakes”, and wanted to make a healthier and vegan version!
I’m not usually a fan of regular protein powders. I think we can usually get enough protein from our food. But I do love adding seeds and nuts to food to provide more protein and healthy fats. That Protein sent me some of their pumpkin and chia seed protein powder to try out, and I was very happy to see it was simply made of pumpkin seed protein powder and whole chia seeds. To make the pumpkin seed protein powder, they cold-press pumpkin seeds to partially remove the fat, but keep some fat to provide omega 3, then they grind them up. The chia seeds are whole and are also a great vegan source of omega 3. Pumpkin seeds also contain all the essential amino acids. So this sounded like a really healthy product that I would be happy to eat, and seemed really handy to use to add to meals or smoothies. I decided to try it out in these protein pancakes and it worked really well. It added a lovely slightly nutty taste. I also tried it in smoothies, and it tasted great and didn’t give that powdery texture that some protein powders can have.
You could also simply grind up your own seeds for this recipe if you like. I would use pumpkin seeds, a little flax seed, and some chia, whatever else you like too. I used nut butter or tahini in the recipe to add some extra protein and healthy fat too. I added a little maple syrup to sweeten these, but not too much, so you can add extra maple syrup as a topping afterwards if they’re not sweet enough. I add some maple syrup to my portion but not for the kids and they are happy to eat them without it. The oats make them extra healthy, as well as some banana, and coconut oil is a healthier oil to fry with. You could use wholegrain, spelt or gluten free flour (and oats) if you like.
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1/4 cup of vegan protein powder or ground seeds (chia, pumpkin, flax seeds, etc.)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tbsp. nut butter or tahini
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk (or other plant milk)
- Coconut oil (for frying)
How it’s made:
- Grind the oats using a food processor (or use oat flour, a bit less than a cup)
- Mix the ground oats, flour and protein powder/ground seeds in a large bowl.
- Add the mashed banana, nut butter/tahini, maple syrup and milk and whisk until combined.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and oil it lightly with coconut oil before frying each batch of pancakes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the frying pan for each pancake.
- Fry each pancake for a few minutes either side, until lightly brown on either side.
- Serve with fruit, maple syrup, nut butter, etc.