COCONUT CHOCOLATE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
I hate casserole. My mum could never get me to eat it as a child. But this coconut chocolate french toast is one casserole I could eat daily! You wouldn’t believe how simple this is to make, plus it’s secretly healthy and vegan as always!
If you try my chocolate coconut french toast, please tag me on instagram @ohhappyveggie as I love to see your recreations!
Coconut Chocolate French Toast Recipe
Time: 10 mins prep, 30 mins cook
- 100ml milk
- 1 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, agave, rice syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Toppings of choice, suggestions below
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a jug until combined
- Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture and coat
- Spray an ovenproof dish with a cooking spray or grease with a little bit of oil
- Layer each slice of bread on top of each other in the dish
- Cover with clingfilm and set aside to soak for at least half an hour. I prepped this the night before and put it in my fridge overnight, which was handy!
- Melt the coconut oil in a ramekin in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until its a clear liquid
- With a pastry brush or knife, coat the outside layer of toast with the melted oil
- Bake the dish in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the outside is crispy
- Remove from the oven, serve on a plate and load up on the toppings!
- shredded coconut or coconut chips
- chocolate sauce
- Berries-blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cacao/cocoa nibs
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Sliced banana
- Dried fruit
- Nuts, seeds or nut butter