Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal with Vegan Cream Cheese
The weather has been really nice here in Ireland for the last few days, so we’ve been making the most of it and going to the beach and the park a lot. We tidied up our garden and cut the grass and next week I’m getting a picnic table for the garden so we can have vegan barbecues and eat outdoors all the time. I’m really excited for summer to start.
But today the weather has turned a bit bad again, so I felt like a warming breakfast. I had half a tub of Violife vegan cream cheese in the fridge, which inspired me to make this Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal to go with it. But you can use any brand of vegan cream cheese or leave it out altogether if you don’t have it.
I’m so glad I did cos it was really, really delicious! And the kids loved it. It’s really healthy, full of goodness from the oats, carrots and raisins. It’s naturally sweet with just a little bit of agave syrup added, as the carrots, raisins and mixed spice make it sweet enough. It’s crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside, with lots of nice textures. And is an easy way to sneak veggies into kids.
And the absolute best thing about making baked oatmeal is that you can get other stuff done while it’s baking, like the washing up that I left from the night before, or just sit down and relax! Oh and it makes your kitchen smell really nice.
I realise that I make a lot of oaty recipes on this blog, but you can’t have too much oats right? They’re really nutritious, yummy and cheap. I always think that you don’t need super grains like quinoa all the time. Oats and other whole grains are just as good!
This recipe can also be completely gluten free if you use gluten-free oats, so suitable for us coeliacs. It can be nut-free or soy-free depending on what plant milk you use. It would also be really good with some walnuts or pecans in it, but I didn’t have any. Just chop the nuts up small if you’re serving it to young kids.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the baked oatmeal
- 3 cups of oats (gluten free if required)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- Optional: Pecans or walnuts
- The zest of 1 orange
- 2 tsps. mixed spice
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk (or other plant milk)
For the cream cheese frosting
- 100g vegan cream cheese (I used Violife brand)
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
How it’s made:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix in the agave syrup and almond milk thoroughly.
- Press the mixture into a loaf tin or cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown on top. The inside will be soft and moist.
- For the cream cheese frosting, cream together the cream cheese and agave syrup.
- Spoon the baked oatmeal into bowls and serve with a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top. You can serve it in a bowl with almond milk too if you want.