BBQ Cauliflower Wings with Ranch Dip
This is a really fun way to get kids to eat cauliflower and makes a good snack for kids’ parties that I think even non-vegans would love! I’m not the biggest fan of cauliflower on its own, but it’s so versatile and is a good replacement for chicken in recipes, like in this Sweet and Sour Cauliflower or Roasted Cauliflower Fajitas. In this recipe cauliflower is used instead of chicken wings, making it healthy (cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6) and of course cruelty-free. This is not a new idea but it’s my version making it as healthy as I can for my kids while still being as convenient as I can make it.
I make them with a gram flour batter (also known as chick pea flour) to add more protein and it also makes it gluten free (if you’re coeliac make sure to use a certified gluten free gram flour). I think it makes them extra delicious.
I also bake them in the oven without any oil which makes them much healthier than if they were deep fried. I use a store-bought BBQ sauce to make this a quicker and easier recipe, especially for busy parents. It’s also usually not too spicy, which makes it good for kids. It does contain some sugar, but if you want you could make a healthier homemade BBQ sauce. I might try coming up with a recipe for a future blog post.
These are delicious served with Follow Your Heart ranch dressing either drizzled over them or as a dip. I love Follow Your Heart Vegenaise and salad dressings and can’t stop eating them lately. They contain lots of omega 3 fatty acids, which are important for kids and breastfeeding people so I’m using that as a reason to eat lots of them! Actually at first I assumed they’d be full of unhealthy and unrecognisable ingredients but when I actually looked at the labels I was pleasantly surprised! Sure they are high in fat (and I don’t mind that as a treat), but it’s expeller-pressed rapeseed oil, and there are no trans fats or artificial ingredients. Just pretty healthy ingredients, which is nice to see in a vegan product like this. (This is not a paid ad, none of my posts are, I just like this product!) If you can’t get this ranch dressing, you could make a homemade vegan ranch dip (there are lots of recipes online).
So I hope you like this recipe. Even if you don’t like cauliflower, give it a try and I bet you’ll love them. I could eat a whole cauliflower this way!
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1.5 cups of gram flour
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce (or use homemade sauce)
How it’s made:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper, 2 trays might be needed.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Put the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3-5 minutes until it has softened a bit (or steam or boil it if you like).
- I do this first because I like my cauliflower well cooked, but if you like it more crunchy then you can skip this step.
- Mix the gram flour, salt, spices and nutritional yeast in a large bowl. Then add 1 cup of water and whisk until pretty smooth.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the batter and mix well to coat the cauliflower.
- Spread the cauliflower florets out on the baking trays so that they are not touching each other. If there is a lot of batter on each one, let a little drain off before placing it on the baking tray.
- Bake the cauliflower florets in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning them over half way through cooking.
- Take the trays out of the oven and drizzle the cauliflower florets with the BBQ sauce. Toss them to coat them in the sauce.
- Cook in the oven for another 15 minutes or so, turning half way through cooking.
- Serve with the vegan ranch dip.