BALSAMIC SWEET POTATO & FIG SALAD WITH CASHEW CREAM
Summer evenings call for salad! It doesn’t have to mean lettuce and tomato; today I got experimental with making cashew cream and roasting fruit. This summery salad is surprisingly filling, full of flavour and seems a lot fancier than it really is.
Serve with a glass of Rosé or elderflower cordial and eat slowly to experience all the flavours.
for the salad:
- 300g rocket
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 fresh figs
- 1 handful of walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/rice malt syrup/agave
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- for the cashew sour cream:
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked overnight
- 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Slice the sweet potato into wedges.
- Sprinkle with paprika, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil.
- Spread out on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the figs into quarters.
- Toss into an oven proof bowl with the rest of the balsamic and your sweetener of choice.
- Put in the oven for the last 15 minutes that the sweet potatoes are cooking.
- Toast the walnuts for 5-7 minutes on a low-medium heat.
- Blend all the cashew sour cream ingredients together in a high powered blender until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk or water.
- Season to taste. It’ll make more than you need for the dressing- keep it in the fridge to add to nachos, soup, salads etc.
- When the potato wedges and figs are cooked, serve on a bed of rocket.
- Sprinkle with the nuts and drizzle with the juices from cooking the figs and cashew sour cream.
If you give it a go show let me know via Instagram @ohhappyveggie – I love to see your recreations!