Why I love Zucchini Noodles With Tomato Vegetable Sauce
If you are looking for a healthier, grain-free alternative to standard pasta, zucchini noodles with tomato vegetable sauce might be perfect for you. They are easy to make, gluten-free and vegan.
I got a spiralizer about a year ago and I wouldn’t want to live without it. In the past, my diet has been very carb-laden which was detrimental for the candida I was suffering from at that time. Unfortunately, the German, as well as the Irish cuisine, are very carb-focused. Personally, I wouldn’t want to cut out carbs completely but it was pretty clear that I had to reduce my carb intake drastically. Even though I have never been big, a few pounds had crept up on my belly and hips which I wanted to get rid off, too. Most important in my case though, the starches in the carbs get converted into sugar which was feeding my candida. I had been intending to incorporate more vegetables into my diet for a long time, so there were some pretty good reasons to get started. I experimented a lot and this Chocolate Zoats Recipe, as well as my Courgette, Avocado and Strawberry Salad, have become two of my favourite recipes.
When I started testing Zucchini Noodles With Tomato Vegetable Sauce on some of my friends surprisingly, some of them didn’t even notice that they weren’t eating “real” pasta. As much as I like them ( I am talking about the zucchini noodles, not my friends, well I mean of course I like them too, um, just keep reading it should get clearer) I can’t quite understand that they wouldn’t notice that they weren’t eating real pasta but I guess it shows how fricking delicious they are.
How to make Zucchini Noodles
Just a few tips I found helpful when making Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Vegetable sauce.
Spiralize or cut them immediately before you are going to use them, don’t let them sit around.
If you are using a julienne peeler, stop when you reach the seeds in the middle (seeds make the noodles fall apart).
Pat the zucchini noodles dry using kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.
Don’t cook them for long, simply allow them to heat up, I only cook mine for about 2 minutes.
If you follow the advice above you should always end up with beautiful and delicious zucchini noodles.
Zucchini Noodles With Tomato Vegetable Sauce (GF)(V)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Looking for a healthier, grain-free alternative to standard pasta? Then zucchini noodles with tomato vegetable sauce might be perfect for you. They are easy to make, gluten-free and vegan.
- Tomato Vegetable Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cups baby button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 packet (400g) organic passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced or halved
- fresh basil for garnish
- 4 zucchinis (courgettes in Ireland), washed not peeled
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the carrots and baby mushrooms and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Next, incorporate the remaining sauce ingredients except for the fresh basil, cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meantime, using a spiralizer or a julienne peeler, cut the zucchinis lengthwise into long, thin strips.
- Pat the zucchini noodles dry with some kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.
- Add the noodles to the pan and toss around using silicon tongs. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and add some parmesan, vegan cheese or nutritional yeast. (Optional)