Vegan Margherita Pizza
Margherita pizza is really simple but nice, with tomato, basil and mozzarella. I use vegan mozzarella of course. I love Violife Mozzarella but homemade cashew mozzarella is also really nice. I add slices of tomatoes and use a homemade sauce to add more goodness. My three year old really likes it!
Ingredients (makes 1 pizza)
- 1 pizza base (home made or store-bought)
For the sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. tomato purée
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- A few handles of vegan mozzarella, grated or sliced
- A few fresh basil leaves
How it’s made:
- For the sauce, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over a medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Add to the saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and mince or crush the garlic. Add to the pan and cook for another minutes or two, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato purée and stir and cook for another minutes.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, oregano, sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- This should be enough sauce for about two pizzas, so if you’re only making one you can save the sauce for another dish like pasta.
- Put a layer of sauce on the pizza base.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the top.
- Add the tomato slices on top of this.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
- Scatter fresh basil leaves on top and serve.