The mighty mung bean one pot wonder
Best cure for blue Monday!? Wild weather beach walks to clear out the cobwebs and a giant sharing pot of mung bean, cannellini and potato coconut curry. Yummmmm…
This was a real… “What have I got leftover that would feel at home in a pot.” A real mixed bag so feel free to adjust quantities and ingredients to your liking. I cooked the mung beans from scratch but took the short cut with the other beans and grabbed tins.
In a heated and oiled pan add:
- 5 to 6 cloves of finely chopped garlic (Less if preferred but I am garlic fiend)
- Knuckle of grated ginger
- 1 tbls each of cumin and coriander powder
- 1/2 tbls garam masala
- 1/4 tbls of turmeric
- Shake of red chilli flakes
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Generous shake of coconut sugar
- Cook through for 10 min on a medium heat
Scoop spice and tomato combo into a large saucepan and add:
- 1 1/2 cups ish.. of dried mung beans (veryyyyy rough measurements here I sort of just used up what I had left in a jar)
- 3 to 4 potatoes roughly chopped. Big enough that you get a nice bite. I left the skins on but again optional
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- A crumbled stock cube
- Using the empty coconut tin, fill 3 times with water and add to the mix. A little more may need to be added as you go along.
- Bring to the boil, reduce and leave to simmer for an hour and as with all one pot wonders the next day is even yummier.
- Stir occasionally and after about 40 min add one tin of kidney beans, one tin of cannellini beans and a large handful of purple kale leaves (removed from the stem)
- Get seasoning with salt and pepper. I added an extra pour of brown rice syrup and a pinch or so of chilli powder for a little more of a sweet and spicy kick.
Top with coriander and chopped scallions. Serve up and enjoy.