The Full Vegan Mammy Breakfast
I love having cooked breakfasts as a vegan. I can make them really colourful, flavourful, and healthy. And I’m always so hungry in the mornings! The morning that I made this I had a few jobs to do, so I gave the kids fruit for breakfast and did my jobs while thinking of what I’d eat for breakfast. By the time I was finished, I was so hungry, that I needed to make the ultimate cooked vegan breakfast.
Spicy tofu scramble, your favourite vegan sausages (I like Dee’s vegan sausages), big baked mushrooms, roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine, sautéed spinach with chilli, fresh avocado and wholegrain toast. You add also add anything else you want, asparagus, tempeh “bacon” or grilled aubergine slices are delicious too.
I think it’s the perfect breakfast. So satisfying, loads of protein, vitamins and not too greasy. It’s easy to make since a lot of it is simply placed in the oven to cook, and it doesn’t take long.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 8-12 vegan sausages (Dee’s, Linda McCartney, or whatever brand you like)
- 4 big flat mushrooms
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 packet of tofu (I like Cauldron brand tofu for scrambles)
- Chilli flakes
- 1 heaped tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 heaped tsp. paprika
- A dash of turmeric
- 1 heaped tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast to serve
How it’s made:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or whatever temperature is on the instructions for the sausages.
- Place the sausages on a non-stick baking tray, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, and cook according to packet instructions (Dee’s sausages take about 20 minutes).
- At the same time, place the cherry tomatoes on a baking tray with the mushrooms, with the gills facing upwards. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the tomato skins slightly burst open.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and crumble in the tofu with your hands (or mash with a fork). Add a dash of chilli flakes and the other spices and some sea salt and plenty of black pepper and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Keep it warm on the hob on a low heat while the rest of the food cooks. Just before serving, after taking it off the heat, stir through the nutritional yeast (to preserve the vitamins).
- In another frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat with a dash of chilli flakes and some sea salt. Add the whole bag of spinach (it will wilt down a lot) and sauté until it wilts, stirring occasionally. Keep warm on a low heat until it’s time to serve.
- Half the avocadoes, remove the stones and scoop out the flesh. Slice it thinly or whatever way you like.
- Serve everything with some toast.