Sweet potato and split green pea veg balls in a spicy tomato sauce with cheesy courgette chips.
There isn’t much that can beat a hearty bowl of (non meat) meat balls (sweet potato, mushroom, mixed seeds and split green peas) in a spicy tomato sauce topped with cheesy courgette matchstick chips.
For the meat balls:
I have a handful of tried and tested veg ball recipes but this one is def one of my favourites
In a food processor blitz the following to a pulp:
- 1 peel and chopped sweet potato
- 1 punnet of mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Transfer to a heated oiled pan and sweat
- Once cooked through pop into a bowl and set aside
In a seperate saucepan:
- Cook 1 cup of split green peas
- Drain and add to the veg mix.
- A generous handful of panko breadcrumbs and/or nutritional yeast flakes
- Ground cumin and coriander
- Shake of chilli flakes
- Plenty of mixed seeds. I used pumpkin, chia and sunflower
- Mix up a 3 egg equivalent with an egg replacer or flax seed mix and add.
Combine and roll into individual balls or burgers work great too
Into the oven at 200c for 40-45 min or until golden brown
- Tinned tomatoes
- Chilli flakes
- Splash of Balsamic vinegar
- Shake of coconut sugar
- Bring to the boil, reduce and leave to simmer
- Blend to get a smooth consistency but I prefer it chunky for this dish
For the courgette chips:
- Chop courgette into chip shape of choice
- Roll in a mixed bowl of grated Art of Zen Foods Violife Prosociano, thyme, salt and pepper
- Into the oven at 180c for 20 min