There’s something so comforting about roasted vegetables! This is my favourite way to eat them – by stuffing them with flavoursome rice and beans/lentils/nuts. It’s so tasty and super substantial and filling for dinner! I’ve tried sweet potato, peppers, pumpkin, courgette…but this aubergine may be my favourite! I’ve also drizzled some ‘hummus vinaigrette’ on top which may sound a little weird but trust me it’s actually divine. Let me know if you try my stuffed aubergine recipe out on instagram @ohhappyveggie or snapchat @sugaryicecream – I adore seeing all your lovely recreations xo
Stuffed Aubergine Recipe
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 aubergines
- 1 cup rice/quinoa or a blend
- 1 can lentils
- 1/2 tin tomatoes
- 1/4 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups mixed vegetables of choice – I used cherry tomatoes, peppers, courgette, broccoli
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika, cumin, fennel and coriander
- 2 heaped tbsp hummus, store-bought or click here for an easy homemade hummus recipe
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Firstly preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Slice the aubergine in half and then scoop out most of the inside, leaving about a 1/2cm ‘wall’. You can retain the aubergine for another dish, I plan to make roasted vegetable pasta or pizza with it this week :).
- Place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper and put it in the oven while you prepare the rest of your dish.
- Next put your rice/quinoa on to cook.
- Dice the onion and garlic. Chop all your other vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Heat the pan and add oil or whatever you like to cook with.
- Fry the onions and garlic till golden, then stir in the spices and a little of the stock for a minute.
- Add in the rest of the vegetables, tomatoes and stock, simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- When the vegetables are soft, mix in the rice and lentils.
- The aubergines should be well baked by now, take them out of the oven and stuff with the rice mix.
- Put them back in the oven for a further 3-5 minutes to make everything a little crispy.
- Mix the hummus and vinegar together into a sauce thin enough to drizzle.
- Divide the aubergine halves between 2 plates and drizzle with the sauce.
- You may have a little rice mix left which you can have on the side too or it tastes even better the next day too! 🙂
Stuffed Aubergine | ohhappyveggie