EASY VEGAN BANANA MUFFINS
Backpacking means I have limited ingredients, time and kitchen equipment. Luckily for you that means I’m coming up with lots of quick, easy and cheap recipes over the next few months! Kicking off with these easy vegan banana muffins, which can be customised with whatever you have handy! They’re gluten and sugar free too, because my new flatmate is coeliac and also because I can’t afford coconut sugar! 🙂
Easy Vegan Banana Muffins Recipe
Makes 4-6 muffins
Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder (use GF if necessary)
- 2 tsp vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp ground flax/chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 2 heaped tbsp tahini/nut butter/coconut oil
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 a grated courgette + spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg)
- more nut butter + dark choc chips
- 1 grated apple + spices
- 1 grated carrot + spices
- Handful of berries + dessicated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cases or grease with coconut oil.
- Make the ‘egg’ by mixing the ground chia/flax with water and allowing it to chill in the fridge while you prep the rest of the mixture.
- Mix the baking powder with the vinegar to ‘activate’ it – this is extra help for gluten free flour to rise. Watch it foam up and set it aside.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas and then add all the rest of the ingredients, any add ins, the ‘egg’ and the baking powder mix. Mix everything till the mixture is evenly combined. Taste the mixture and add in some maple syrup or brown sugar if it’s not sweet enough for you (I found the ripe mashed bananas were enough).
- Pour into muffin tins and slice 3 bits of banana on top of each muffin for aesthetic.
- Bake until golden brown on top and a knife comes out clean from the center – 25-35 mins.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then eat warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Easy Vegan Banana Muffins | irish vegetarian and vegan recipes
Let me know if you make these by tagging me on instagram @ohhappyveggie or sending me a snapchat @sugaryicecream – it makes me so happy to see your lovely recreations! x