Easy Pancakes – Vegan and Gluten Free
It’s Pancake Tuesday – or Shrove Tuesday next week and so the shops are FULL to the brim with pre-made batter and/or all your necessary ingredients for standard pancakes. i.e. milk, eggs, flour and oil or butter. EUGH. Eggs? More like cholesterol bombs. Milk? As in cow secretions? Say no to this madness!
The following recipe is dairy and egg free (obviously) thereby making it low in fat, zero cholesterol and very heart healthy.
Now I think one of the main tricks to this recipe is to have an unbelievably good non-stick pan! And if not, a non-stick mat. I know there is some controversy surrounding non-stick mats but to be honest, if it means I don’t have to use oil then i’ll risk it!
Makes: 8 pancakes
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 5-15 min
You will need:
- 150g Rice flour*
- 120g Plain white gluten-free flour**
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250ml soya milk***
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 mashed RIPE bananas
*If you’re not coeliac you could use any flour here.
**You don’t have to use gluten free if you don’t need it.
***Any plantbased milk will do.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. If you decide not to use the gluten free flours then sieve your flour.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a different bowl.
- Mash your banana and add that to the wet ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients together or mix well if you don’t have a blender.
- I take it you know how to make pancakes so I won’t get into it! But do try to get a non-stick pan or mat because then you won’t have to use oil.
- Enjoy with your choice of topping.
Here’s some ideas: berries, bananas, maple syrup, agave, icing sugar, sugar & lemon, vegan chocolate spread, peanut butter, any nut butter, banana mashed with cacao, choc-shot chocolate sauce, golden syrup, chia jam, coconut whipped cream.