CHICKPEA BROCCOLI BAKE
There is something so comforting about eating your childhood favourite meals, especially when you live as far away from home as I do! My best friend’s mum makes the best chicken broccoli bake and I used to always plea to stay at hers for dinner when I could smell one in the oven.
Here is my vegan take on this wholesome dish. The creamy sauce is soaked up by the broccoli, chickpeas and rice make it very filling and the golden breadcrumbs top everything off. There is minimal prep involved – the best thing is you can make ahead in 5 minutes, keep it in the fridge to marinade and stick it in the oven when you get home from a long day.
Chickpea Broccoli Bake Recipe
Time: 5 minutes prep, marinade for as long as you have, 45 minutes cook
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 tin light coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp curry paste of choice (I used thai red but I imagine any would work)
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten free if needed)
- Rice and salad, to serve
- In a large bowl mix the coconut milk, curry paste and stock into a sauce.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and break the broccoli stalks into bite size pieces. Place both in a large oven proof dish and pour the sauce over.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over to cover.
- Refrigerate for as much time as you have to let the flavour develop. If you don’t have the time, you can skip this step.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 190 degrees until steaming hot and the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Serve with rice or any grain and a salad garnish.