Delicious Beetroot, Walnut And Feta Burger With Roasted Carrot Hummus
This quick and easy recipe is bursting with colours and flavours. It is a vegan version of the well loved Happy Pear recipe.
The glowing colour of the beetroot isn’t the only thing that’s is special about this super healthy veg. It is rich in antioxidants, anti- inflammatory compounds and can help you to detoxify your body.
Remember all those legendary Russian centenarians? Beets, frequently consumed either pickled or in borscht, the traditional Russian soup, may be one reason behind their long and healthy lives.
Serve the burgers with a big dollop of this tasty roasted carrot hummus, topped off with some alfalfa sprouts.
This Beetroot, Walnut And Feta Burger could easily turn every meat eater, at least into a part-time vegetarian ?
Beetroot, Walnut And Feta Burger With Roasted Carrot Hummus
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 400 g uncooked beetroot
- 6 scallions
- 80 g vegan Parmesan (Violife Prosociano)
- 100 g vegan feta cheese or tofu
- 140 g toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- juice of ½ a lemon
Roasted carrot hummus
For the salad topping
- 10 g alfalfa sprouts
- 20 g toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Scrub and grate the beetroot.
- Finely chop the scallions.
- Grate the vegan Parmesan, chop the walnuts and crumble the vegan Feta or tofu.
- Heat up the oil in a pan at medium heat. Add the beetroot and scallions and let it cook for 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let it cool.
- Fill the beetroot mixture into a medium bowl along with both cheeses, the mint, walnuts, breadcrumbs and lemon juice. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your hands to form burger shaped patties. Add either a chia egg if the mixture is too dry, or flour if too wet. To make a chia egg mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 15 minutes
- Bake the patties on a lined oven tray for 25 minutes and flip them half way through.
- Alternatively you could fry them in a pan with a little bit of oil.
- Mix the ingredients for the salad topping.
- Spread a good dollop of roasted carrot hummus on top and serve with some sprout salad topping.