Basic Tomato and Basil Sauce
This simple sauce is packed with flavour and there are only three ingredients! I use this sauce in many of my recipes throughout the blog. It’s great as a base for pizza and it’s the sauce that’s traditionally used in Melanzane alla Parmigiana (Aubergine with Parmesan).
What you’ll need:
- Tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- One onion, finely diced
- About a handful of basil (1/3 of a shop bought plant)
- Some Olive Oil for frying
- Some sugar (optional)
- Add a little oil to a large pan and gently heat over a low flame.
- Add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and give it a good stir.
- Chop your basil and add to the pot. Have a little taste and add some sugar if needed.
- Simmer on a low heat until the sauce becomes a beautiful, deep orange colour (approx 20mins).
- Using a hand blender give the sauce a good whizz to smoothen (the large pan comes in handy here as it can get a tad
- messy). You can use straight away or freeze.
Top tip : divide the mixture into 6 freezer bags, each bag = sauce for one medium pizza!